Skip to content

Assessment 1-B /2547

B: Seminar participation and engagement [10%]

Your engagement with the module’s seminar and lab programme will be graded and will be aggregated into the coursework mark, accounting for 10% of the overall mark – but note that this represents 20% of the coursework mark (the remaining 80% of coursework marks will come from the reflective journal).

The net effect is that the extent to which you maintain on-going engagement with the module will have a significant effect on your coursework grade and thus on your overall grade for the module.

In seminars, marks will be accrued for:

  • Demonstrating adequate preparation
    (through bringing the relevant case study worksheet, with completed responses to all questions, as well as the case study’s primary source material, either as hard copy or on a digital device)
    – up to 2 marks per case study seminar
  • Demonstrating participation and contribution
    (through your peer group discussions and informal group presentations to the rest of your seminar group or through engagement with set tasks in labs)
    – up to 3 marks per case study seminar; up to 5 marks in labs

If you miss your seminar or lab – and have notified your tutor of your non-attendance (eg due to illness, interviews etc) within 24 hours of the missed session – you may recoup all the missed tutorial marks by attending a different seminar group for that case study or, if no further groups are available, by attending a non-timetabled individual session with your tutor. If no further lab groups are available, the completion of the set tasks for the lab and submission of the completed worksheet within an agreed timescale will compensate.

If you have failed to attend and have not notified your tutor of your absence within this time, or attempt to attend without preparation, you may recoup the preparation marks only (ie 2 marks per case, out of the maximum 5), by submission of your completed worksheet for that seminar case, normally within 14 days of the missed seminar. For lab sessions, you must contact the tutor to obtain the worksheet for that lab and, again, a 40% mark only may be obtained by submission of the completed worksheet within 14 days of the missed lab.

Summer Reassessment – deferral/referral: there is a reassessment coursework which replaces the seminar P&E activities and the reflective journal. Please see the module’s Blackboard presence. Do not submit seminar worksheets for reassessment.