innov+tech 1: Introduction
Topic 1 Covers:
- A general introduction to the module’s structure.
- Overview of some basic concepts, including trying to define innovation and some examination of its significance to the firm.
Lecture handout 1 / Lecture handout 2
- Tidd and Bessant (2009), ch 1
- Pohle, G and Wunker, S (2007), Innovating on your own terms, IBM Institute for Business Value/Innosight [pdf]
- Conway and Steward (2009), ch 1
- Schilling, M (2006), Types and patterns of innovation [ch 3 - sample from McGraw-Hill]
- Rose, F (2005), Seoul Machine, Wired, May
- Spufford, F (2003), The Backroom Boys – the secret return of the British boffin, Faber & Faber
- The Apple Newton – Palm PDA issue is more fully explored in Chrakravorti (2004), The New Rules for Bringing Innovations to Market, Harvard Business Review, March
- Kanter, R M (1999), From spare change to real change: the social sector as beta site for business innovation, Harvard Business Review May-June
- McKeown, M (2008), The Truth about Innovation, Prentice Hall
- Neely, A and Hii, J (1998), Innovation and Business Performance: A literature review, Government Office for the Eastern Region (I have a pdf copy of this article which can be emailed on request).
- von Hippel, E, Thomke, S and Sonnack, M (1999), Creating breakthroughs at 3M, Harvard Business Review Sept-Oct